Sunday 24 August 2014

Why do you music?

Music.

It's one of those things, isn't it?

We all know about it and to some extent we all partake in it. Some of us are listeners and some of us are creators. However there is a debate in itself. Composers, performers, concert goers, teachers, educators, instrument repairs, sound technicians, producers, mixers, conductors... we all music.

Music for me is more than a word. Music for me is more than a profession and guys, if you had not yet guessed... music for me is more than my life.

Music is me.

There's no other way to put it.

When I no longer exist and I have been taken from the physical earth, what will remain? my music. Not just my compositions, arrangements, students, bands, papers, concert programs but this legend of my music.

That's quite a way to think about myself though and some would protest that indeed to think of myself so highly is quite incorrect. However I don't think that's the thing. What I'm talking about is my sense of musicianship. Regardless of my skill my musicianship will remain.

...and I know people will remember me because of my music.

YET! This is not the reason why I music.

I music because it is a form of expression, it is my livelihood, it is my passion and it is my hobby. I music because for some reason or another I am 'better than okay' at it.

My friends music and my family music. My students music and my future students will learn to music.

Music will mean to them whatever music should mean to them. I will not enforce that they feel and think about music in the same way I do, however I will insist that they appreciate music. The form of the music or even the reasons why they enjoy the music is redundant.

All I ask of them is to be able to tell me WHY they music. Hopefully it is because of love, because that is the strongest type of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment