Saturday 30 August 2014

When I grow up...

Once again we must protest to others what we wish to do with our lives. How long should it take for us to grow up? and what even is growing up?

Is it the act of moving out of home? Getting a real job? Graduating from university? or is it simply just being viewed as an adult?

Well, the thing is, is here I am, and to be honest I'm pretty young... but I'm making choices. Choices that make me look over my shoulder and think that this might be a defining moment of my life. The thing is though, that I want to be following the footsteps of some pretty defining people in my life.

Like it or not, there are a number of mentors in my life that are doing exactly what I want to be doing. Pretty uncreative I know - I know. However, it's exactly what I want to do. Here I stand at 21, I'm not a woman and I'm not child... trust me, my dreams are running wild all I want is to be able to look back in a number of years and think, yeah I took each opportunity in my stride and worked hard. Here I tell you, right now... I'm working hard but honestly at the wrong things.

I'm working at things that may not matter in the long run and really aren't going to help me to be able to follow the footsteps of those mentors.

I think some days that I won't even be able to get my feet off the ground, or even follow one small bit in their footsteps.

I ponder some days and I know that I can just give up now... if that's what I wanted. I have a pretty smooth life and I could end up doing what I'm doing now for the rest of my life. BUT GUESS WHAT. I can tell this isn't what I'm meant to be doing. There's a thirst in my mouth. A fire in my soul. and a longing in my heart. THAT (the thing my mentors are doing) THAT is what I'm suppose to be doing!

So, here is to working HARD at the things that are important. My talent will not carry me for much longer. I must stick my head down and my arse up... and get onto it.

No comments:

Post a Comment